We’ve witnessed an increase in crime across our cities and the need to be careful for all motorists exists – however women need to be extremely vigilant as they face a higher threat rate. Be it night or day, it really doesn’t hurt for women to take a few extra precautions while out on the road alone in their car. Keeping that in mind, we’ve prepared a detailed checklist that women drivers ought to adhere to in order to enjoy a safe drive.
1. In case you are being followed by another car, the best option is to navigate towards a crowded street where you know you can get help, or head to a five star hotel where you can give your car to the valet and immediately step inside and wait for help.
2. Avoid driving around alone too late at night, however if you absolutely have to, it is wise to inform a few people about where you are heading. Whatsapp groups are a great way to do this. Go straight to your location and avoid stopping anywhere along the way.
3. Prepare well before setting out in your car alone. Ensure that your cellphone is fully charged, carry a car charger with you, make sure the car has enough fuel in it (especially before driving out at night), check the tyres and in general it’s a good idea to keep your car well serviced in order to avoid car trouble. If you are travelling to a relatively unknown area, use Google Maps or a GPS device for guidance rather than rolling down your windows and asking for directions.
4. Keep an emergency kit handy in your vehicle. Water, snacks, an extra battery pack for your cellphone are all important elements to have handy in the event of a breakdown. Other items to consider include a jumper cable and a tyre puncture repair kit. At no point should you get out of your car if you are in a deserted area. In case someone does stop to help, don’t roll your window all the way down as this gives them access to you. At best, just open it a few centimetres so that they can hear you.
5. Keep added security measures handy. A can of pepper spray can do wonders in getting rid of a potential threat!
6. In case you are stranded, do not accept a ride from unknown people. They might come across nice, but that ride could turn into a nightmare real quick. The best option is to call for help.
7. While most cars come with automatic door locks, it is wise to ensure that the doors are indeed locked while driving. Also double check the doors when you lock your car and go somewhere.
8. Modern cars are now coming with remote access keys as standard. It is tempting to unlock your car from a distance, however it is best to avoid that in secluded places including mall parking lots.
9. Stay focused and aware of your surroundings. Being distracted due to your phone, or lost in thought while walking to your car in a secluded lot just makes it easier for the criminal to approach you. Awareness has saved lives and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
10. Get a vehicle security device. We aren’t talking about a simple anti-theft device here, but something a little smarter. Today the market has intelligent devices that work as both active and passive security systems. One such example is Trak N Tell’s Intelli7 Car Tracking & Safety System. This start up in the car security business offers a unique proposition that allows you to ensure that your car and family are safe through a smart device fitted in your car which is networked to your phone via a free app. Key features include:
- Car Finder: This allows you to find your car in a crowded parking spot with ease, thus reducing the need to wander around and increase your risk of being attacked.
- Vehicle Tracking: This feature allows you to follow your car in real time. Should your wife be driving, you can keep a tab on her whereabouts through this function.
- Panic Button: A discreetly placed button immediately sends out an alert to your family and it also notifies the family member of your whereabouts via the app.
- Immobilizer: The Trak N Tell app also offers you the function of shutting down your car. Should you receive an alert, you can stop your car by simply clicking a button on the app and then proceed to inform the police of the whereabouts of the vehicle – thus saving time and bringing in an added security feature.
The Trak N Tell system also protects your car from being stolen and can be procured from Flipkart or Amazon.com for Rs 5,999/-, which is a small price to pay for the safety and security of your family and car. No doubt, it is a boon for single female drivers across the country as well!